Skip Navigation

Graduate Students

Students enrolled in the Mount’s graduate programs may seek assistance through federal and state-funded programs. To qualify for financial aid, students must be enrolled on at least a half-time basis, i.e., at least three (3) credits per semester. Most financial aid will be in the form of deferred student loans, though some students may be eligible to receive state scholarships and/or grants.

Registering for Classes
Students interested in receiving financial aid need to plan accordingly. Because enrollment status is critical to this process, students should map their coursework on at least a semester basis. This means pre-registering for all courses they intend to take in the semester’s modules.

Consortium Agreements
Students who wish to receive aid for courses they are concurrently taking at another institution, or who need to use outside credits in order to maintain their enrollment status for student loan deferment, must seek prior approval for the courses from their Mount advisor. Upon receiving such approval, the student should then initiate the process by downloading the Consortium Agreement (.pdf). Federal regulations prohibit a student from receiving financial aid from more than one institution at a time.

Veteran’s Benefits
Veterans who are eligible to receive educational benefits must inform the University Registrar who serves as the Veterans Certifying Official. The Registrar will submit an Enrollment Certification to the Department of Veterans Affairs when the semester begins. Veterans wishing to use their benefits for the first time must provide a Certificate of Eligibility or submit an Application for Education Benefits to accompany the first certification. New students who received benefits at a previous institution must complete an Application for Change of Program or Place of Training to be submitted with the first certification by Mount St. Mary’s. For more information, call 301-447-5215.

Withdrawal Policy
Aid recipients withdrawing from the program either during or at the end of the semester must make appropriate arrangements with the Financial Aid Office for terminating aid and discussing loan repayment possibilities, if any. Refund policies are available from the Financial Aid Office. Likewise, students who opt out for a semester will be reported to the National Student Loan Clearinghouse as not enrolled and may have their loans enter repayment.

Find out how to apply for federal student loans.

16300 Old Emmitsburg Road | Emmitsburg, MD 21727
Map & Directions | | 301-447-6122
Frederick Campus | 5350 Spectrum Drive | Frederick, MD 21703
Map & Directions | | 301-682-8315