Key Dates in Mount History
2007 - 2008
Mount St. Mary’s University celebrates its bicentennial.
2002 - 2003
Expansion of the Cogan Student Union Building into the William J. McGowan Center (comprising of student services in Cogan Hall and dining services in Patriot Hall)
Dec. 5, 1999
Bp. Keating Hall, the newest wing of the seminary, is dedicated.
The Marion Burk Knott Auditorium is constructed.
Major renovations to McSweeny, Gallagher, and Mulcahy Halls give their present-day appearance.
Construction starts of the Knott “ARCC” across Route 15 from the main campus.
Oct. 11, 1975
Knott Academic Center (known as the “AC”) is dedicated.
Oct. 10, 1975
Mulcahy Hall, a wing of the seminary, is dedicated.
Ground broken for the Coad Science building.
June 7, 1961
Ground broken for the Cogan Student Union Building (known for many years as the “SUB”).
The Phillips Library is constructed.
Construction starts on Gallagher Hall, a wing of the seminary.
Nov. 5, 1949
Second college gymnasium is dedicated in the WWII aircraft hanger (obtained from military surplus the previous year).
Aug. 16, 1907
Ground is broken for the current Chapel of the Immaculate Conception.
Oct. 8, 1806
Cornerstone is blessed for McSweeny Hall in the seminary.
Oct. 18, 1903
Flynn Hall Gymnasium opens (currently used for the Dept. of Visual & Performing Arts).
Echo Field is laid out in the former college vegetable gardens.
Jan. 11, 1858
McCaffrey Hall opens.
Construction is completed on Bruté Hall.
Oct. 6, 1826
Fr. John Dubois leaves the Mount on his way to Baltimore and his episcopal consecration as the third Bishop of New York.
Dubois Hall is opened.
June 22, 1809
Mother Elizabeth Ann Seton arrives in Emmitsburg from Baltimore with her first sisters (Daughters of Charity).
Oct. 6, 1808
Construction begins on Dubois’ school at Mount St. Mary’s.
Aug. 15, 1806
Fr. John Dubois dedicates his new church on the hillside above today’s Mount St. Mary’s University.
1791 – 1806
Fr. John Dubois works as a circuit-riding priest in Maryland and northwestern Virginia.
Fr. John Dubois emigrates to the United States of America.
Sept. 22, 1787
John Dubois is ordained a priest for the Archdiocese of Paris.
Aug. 24, 1764
John Dubois, Mount St. Mary’s founding father, is born in Paris, France.