Skip Navigation

Frequently Asked Questions

Quicklink Topics

Housing | Keys | Supplies and Rentals | University Computer and Phone Networks | Mail on Campus

Questions About Housing

Q: Can I cancel my Housing Contract?
A: The Mount St. Mary's University Housing Contract indicates that the contract term is for a full academic year. Students may cancel their housing contract during the year but may be assessed a $500 fee. They may also not be eligible for a refund. Students should refer to the university's refund policy found in the Housing Contract. Students must contact Residence Life in writing if they are terminating their contract (Release from Housing Contract).

Q: Do I have to live on campus my first year?
Yes, unless you are commuting from home. 

Q: If I like my room, can I keep it for the following year?
A: It depends on where you live. Certain rooms are held for incoming first-year students, students with special housing needs, etc. Housing Selection begins in February of each spring semester for the upcoming academic year. You will receive more information prior to the end of Fall Semester.

Q: Where do I find information on May Closing/End of the Year Closing?
A: The residence halls will close on May 11, 2018 at 4 p.m. Get more information on May closing and checkout procedures!

Q: What is the cost of housing?
A: Housing rates are determined based on the type of room you reside in, i.e. traditional-style room or a suite/apartment. If you live in any other residence hall on campus without a kitchen, you are required to purchase a meal plan. See tuition, room and board costs.

Q: Can I make repairs to my room/university property?
A: Because of liability concerns, student repair of any damages is prohibited. Any maintenance issues should be reported to a Resident Assistant or the Physical Plant at 301-447-5377.

Q: What furniture is provided in residence hall rooms?
A: Most residence hall rooms have a desk, chair, bed, mattress, closet and dresser drawers. Lounge areas and dining areas in campus houses, apartments, and suites are also provided. 

Q: What is the size of my mattress?
A: All mattresses are extra-long twin (80").

back to the top

Questions About Keys

Q: What should I do if I lose my key?
A: If a student loses one or both of his or her residence hall keys, the student should immediately report the loss to the Department of Public Safety.

If a student loses his or her residence hall room key, Public Safety will coordinate the core change and key replacement process. When the core change is complete, Public Safety will issue a new key to the student. The core change and key replacement cost will be assessed to the student’s account.

Q: What if I get locked out of my room?
A: If a student is locked out of his or her room, Public Safety should be called. Public Safety will verify that the student requesting access to the room actually lives in the room. The student will need to provide a photo ID verifying his or her identity before or after Public Safety unlocks the door, depending on if the student left their ID in their locked room. There is also a fee assessed to the student for the lockout by Public Safety.

The student will also need to produce his or her room keys for the public safety officer after entering the room. If he or she cannot, Public Safety will contact the locksmith so he/she may initiate the core change and key replacement process.

back to the top

Questions About Supplies and Rentals

Q: Does the university supply curtains for the window?
A: No, the university does not supply curtains, but there are some curtain rods in the room and there are always standard issue blinds for each window.

Q: Can I get extra furniture for my room (beds, desks, tables, sofas)?
A: The furniture currently in your room is all that will be supplied by the university. Most residence hall rooms have a desk, chair, bed, mattress, closet and dresser drawers.

Q: Is there storage space available for my personal belongings?
A: There is no on-campus storage for any of your belongings that do not fit in your assigned residence. In addition, all belongings must be removed at the end of the year.

Q: Can I put university furniture in storage?
A: University furniture must remain in the room, and you are responsible for its condition at the end of the year.

Q: How can I rent a refrigerator / microwave combination appliance?
A: MicroFridges are available for rent (more information will be out in Spring 2018. Apartments and University-owned houses are equipped with a full size refrigerator but you must provide your own microwave.

back to the top

Questions About the University Computer and Phone Networks

Q: Does every resident have his/her own network connection?
A: Yes, each residence hall room is equipped with an Ethernet jack for access to the Internet. For more information about the University Computer Network, please check out the CIT website.

Q: Are land line phone lines provided in the residence halls?
A: Since many of our students have cellular phones, the university has discontinued our land line phone lines in the residence halls. We recommend getting a cellular phone for use.

back to the top

Questions about Mail on Campus

Q: What is my mailing address?
A: Student’s Full Name
    Mount St. Mary’s University
    16300 Old Emmitsburg Rd
    Emmitsburg, MD 21727-7799

Q: What address do I use for packages being sent to me?
A: Student’s Full Name
    Mount St. Mary’s University
    16300 Old Emmitsburg Rd
    Emmitsburg, MD 21727-7799

Q: When can I ship packages to my campus address?
A: If you are moving to Mount St. Mary's from a long distance, you can ship packages to the university to arrive within the week of your arrival. The Receiving Department will store the packages for you prior to your arrival on campus. Students can have packages shipped to them any time during the regular school year.

back to the top

If you do not find the answer to you are looking for, please feel free to contact us by email at

16300 Old Emmitsburg Road | Emmitsburg, MD 21727
Map & Directions | | 301-447-6122
Frederick Campus | 5350 Spectrum Drive | Frederick, MD 21703
Map & Directions | | 301-682-8315