Artboard 1 apply Artboard 1 copy 2 Mount_Logo_Primary_RGB Mount_Logo_Primary_RGB give Artboard 1 copy 3 info link Mount_Logo_Primary_RGB Artboard 1 Artboard 2 Artboard 1 visit

International Graduate Student Admissions FAQs

group of international students saying hello

Frequently Asked Questions

Is there an application fee?

No, our application is completely free when submitted online, but you will need to pay for test scores and transcript evaluation as part of the complete application process.

When is the deadline to apply?

The deadline for international graduate admissions applications and required admissions documents is May 15. The deadline for I-20 required documents is June 1.

When can I start my master’s program, and what programs are available?

Mount St. Mary's University only accepts F-1 international applications for a fall semester start. We begin accepting applications for the following fall semester in August of each year for the following programs.

  • Master of Business Administration (MBA)
    This program is offered at the Mount’s Emmitsburg campus.
    *Starting fall 2026, the MBA program will transition to a fully online format, and as a result, we will no longer be able to provide I-20s for MBA international students at that time. However, we are currently still accepting applications and issuing I-20s for the fall 2024 MBA cohort (completing coursework in spring 2026).
  • Master of Science in Applied Behavior Analysis (MSABA)
    This program is offered on the Mount’s Frederick campus.
  • Master of Science in Biotechnology and Management (MSB)
    This program is offered on the Mount’s Frederick campus.

Does Mount St. Mary's offer Ph.D. programs?

No, Mount St. Mary's University does not offer Ph.D. programs

Are scholarships or financial aid available for international graduate students?

While Mount St. Mary's University is known for its value, we do not provide scholarships or financial aid to international graduate students.

Do I need to provide test scores?

Yes, Mount St. Mary’s University requires international students to submit one of the following official test scores with the School Code 5421 sent directly from the organization:

  • Official IELTS score with a minimum overall score of 6.5.
  • Official TOEFL score with a minimum overall score of 100 (internet-based) or 250 (computer-based test).

What if I am from an English-speaking country or have studied in English?

If you have studied in English, this information will appear on your official transcript evaluation from WES. We can waive the English Proficiency Test after we receive and review your official WES evaluation.

What is the cost and duration of an official transcript evaluation?

Our preferred evaluator, WES, charges $225 (based on March 2024 pricing), and the process takes about one week after receiving information from your former university. You can explore other evaluation companies that are part of NACES.

Where should I request to have my final official transcript evaluation sent?

You should request to have your official transcripts sent electronically to or have them mailed to:

Attn: Admissions Mount St. Mary's University
5350 Spectrum Drive
Frederick, MD 21703

Can I provide a copy of my transcripts?

No, you cannot upload a copy of your transcript. It is a required step in the admissions process to have an official transcript evaluation sent directly from WES or another NACES company.

How do I obtain official transcripts and a transcript evaluation?

If you studied outside the United States, official transcripts should come with your transcript evaluation. The Mount requires an official course-by-course international transcript evaluation to review your application. We strongly recommend that students use WES for their evaluations. You will need to request that your institution send an official transcript to WES. They will then conduct the evaluation and send the results along with your transcript directly to our Graduate Admissions Office.

If you were studying in the U.S., contact the Registrar’s office of your previous institutions to order official documents.

What is the cost/tuition for an International Student?

International students must demonstrate the ability to cover the estimated cost of attendance, which is $58,116 (36 credit MBA & MSB programs) or $62,376 (42 credit MSABA program)* for the 2024-2025 academic year, including living and learning expenses. Verification of financial support is also required for dependents: $12,000 per year for an F-2 spouse and $6,000 per year for each F-2 child.

*Based on tuition for the 2024-25 academic year. Subject to change. source: Mount St. Mary’s Tuition and Fees.

What is a financial affidavit?

A financial affidavit is an officially notarized document, typically a bank statement or a sworn statement of financial support. Its purpose is to provide evidence that there are sufficient funds available to cover the total educational and living expenses for each year of study in the United States.

We will provide a Financial Affidavit template for your convenience. It is important to note that this financial affidavit should not be submitted during the admission process and should only be provided after an admission decision has been released. This precaution is necessary because these documents may expire before the I-20 review process.

Are GA/Graduate Assistantships available to F-1 international students?

Yes. International students can qualify for an invitation to apply for a Graduate Assistantship if they meet all of the following requirements:

  • Have an undergraduate career total GPA of 3.0 or higher.
  • Are accepted into a Mount St. Mary's University graduate degree program.
  • Complete the Enrollment Decision Form.
  • Are issued an I-20 by Mount St. Mary's University.* 

However, if an international student qualifies, that does not automatically mean that they will receive a position. The process is competitive. Students will still need to apply for the specific GA position(s), interview, be offered a position and receive a signed contract from our Human Resources office.  Learn more about the Mount's graduate assistantships.

*International transfer students who currently hold an I-20 and would like to count the GA compensation towards their financial ability to pay for tuition and living expenses will need to provide a signed GA contract as part of their financial documents during the I-20 process.

Where can I find more information?

For detailed information about the application process, accepted documents, I-20 steps, and more, visit our International Graduate Student Admissions page.

How can I speak with someone directly?

You may register for one of our webinar events for additional information, or alternatively, you can arrange a meeting with one of our counselors via